Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Starbucksification

My mind was blown this morning when I stopped by our neighborhood coffee stand and my Turkish Coffee was handed to me in a lidded styrofoam cup. Yes, that's right, I was given a cup with a lid on it, and there it is, plainly pictured on the left. "Big deal," you say, but this is mind blowing to me because I have never--not once in almost seven years of living here--seen Turkish Coffee to go served in a cup with a lid. You get plastic, or you get styrofoam, and you do not get a lid. You certainly don't bring your own cup. I actually did a double take when I saw it, staring hard at the lid as if I had never seen such a device before. As I said, I literally haven't in that context, and so I was shocked. It's a cultural thing in my mind. Turkish Coffee is supposed to come in little, open faced cups, and you are supposed to spill some as you walk or drive. No more, at least at my coffee stand. It's Starbucksification.

No comments: