Sunday, June 15, 2008

What Happens When Genders Mix

Last month we posted a story about gender mixing in Jordan. However, a few days ago an article in the Jordan Times that shows what happens sometimes when the genders do mix--women get harassed--caught my attention. In this case, it seems that in Jordan there is an epidemic of assaults on female nurses, with 86 reported assaults since the middle of 2007 and 6 last weekend alone. What's more--according to the article--the government seems ambivalent enough about the problem that the Jordan Nurses and Midwives Association is suing the Ministry of Health for their alleged unwillingness to deal with the problem.

Obviously Jordan is not the only country where women are harassed and assaulted. Sadly, that is not unusual in the world. However, I did produce an audible exclamation of shock to myself when I read about this problem. Anyway, I didn't want to say too much really; I just wanted to set up the article and link to it. Here it is. Read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are these sexual assaults or battery assaults? or are they lumping them together? Sounded like physical violence from the 'brawls' comment.

I wonder if the doctors they mention in the article are also women, or, more likely men?

Violence and hospitals---what fun!